AAL finances a range of research infrastructure projects from Australian Government funding and supports Australian engagement with various international observatories. The AAL Board, appointed by the Members, oversees the progress of these projects.
At the conclusion of the AAL AGM on 28 November 2018, the terms of Prof Matthew Bailes, Dr Rosalind Dubs and Prof Rachel Webster will expire creating three vacancies on the Board. The AAL constitution requires the Members to seek a Board that collectively has experience in
- Astronomical research broadly consistent with, ‘Australia in the era of global astronomy: The decadal plan for Australian astronomy 2016–2025’;
- Research collaboration at the national and international level;
- National research policy and priorities;
- Business administration and finance;
- Corporate governance and legal matters; and
- Strategy formulation and implementation
To complement the skills and expertise of the ongoing Directors, the AAL nominations committee is particularly interested in candidates who can demonstrate significant experience in managing (at an executive level) or overseeing (at a Board level) one or more of the following areas:
- Data intensive science and/or computationally intensive research;
- Space science;
- Radio astronomy;
- Relationship management with government departments; and,
- Corporate governance and legal matters.
In addition to the above, the majority of the Board must have conducted research in astronomy or a related field. To fulfil this final requirement, at least one of the vacancies must be filled by an individual who has conducted research in astronomy or a related field.
Note: Prof Bailes, Dr Dubs and Prof Webster are entitled to apply for re-election.
If you consider yourself well placed to contribute to the Board via your expertise and ideas, and share AAL’s vision of wanting Australian astronomers to have access to the best research infrastructure, please email Astronomy Australia Ltd with a maximum two A4 page application with:
- a brief CV,
- your expertise for each of the required areas of skills and experience listed above,
- any relevant conflicts of interest.
The deadline for applications is 9 October 2018 at 8pm AEDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
Applications will be reviewed by the Nomination Committee. This committee will make nominations to the AAL Members for consideration at the AGM.
Queries can be made to either Mr Mark McAuley, Chief Executive Officer, 03 9214 8036, or Professor Naomi McClure-Griffiths, Nomination Committee Chair, 02 6125 4158.